***Scroll down for updates***
I’ve read a lot of missing person cases over the years (one of the reasons I started this blog), but the disappearance of 19-year-old Adrienne Salinas from Tempe, Arizona is one of the most puzzling.
Adrienne was last seen in the early morning hours of June 15. She and her roommates had thrown a party at their apartment that night, and the party raged on until about 5 AM. Adrienne and her boyfriend had gotten into a fight during the party because, according to police reports, she felt as though he wasn’t paying enough attention to her. There were about 40 people at the party.
The police report states that Adrienne and her boyfriend left the party at about 2:30 AM and went to her boyfriend’s apartment. They continued to argue, and as he was driving her back to her place, she allegedly got out of the car and started to walk home.
When she arrived at home, both of her roommates saw her. She spoke with one of her roommates outside and according to that roommate, Adrienne seemed “calmly upset.” The other roommate saw Adrienne go upstairs to her bedroom and pack a small bag. She left the apartment again at about 3:40 AM.
Adrienne never left any instructions for how to care for her dog, leading the roommates to believe that she wasn’t planning on being gone for very long. Below is a timeline for what happened next:
- 3:45 AM A witness reported seeing what police say was Adrienne’s car driving erratically and crashing into a curb about a mile from Adrienne’s apartment. According to police, Adrienne leaves her car and walks back to her apartment where she changes her clothes. She leaves both her wallet and her keys behind.
- 4:10 – 4:50 AM On the Nancy Grace show, it was said that there were 32 calls from Adrienne to her boyfriend. He told police he had been sleeping and didn’t see them until the next day.
- 4:23 AM Adrienne calls a cab company and tells them to pick her up at a local AM/PM.
- 4:43 AM Adrienne’s boyfriend receives a text message from Adrienne that says, “I’m coming overt” (sic)
- 4:53 AM Cab driver pulls up to the AM/PM but cannot find Adrienne. He calls Adrienne’s cell phone and she tells him that she’s on her way.
- 5:06 AM Adrienne’s last cell phone activity, a phone call to the cab company. Minutes later, her phone is shut down.
Adrienne’s car was found abandoned about a mile from her home the day after she was last seen. Her cell phone still has not been found.
According to Sergeant Michael Pooley from the Tempe Police Department, police do not have a suspect. Below is an interview Sgt Pooley gave to Jean Casarez on the Nancy Grace show last Tuesday.
So what happened to Adrienne that night? Was she abducted between the time she left her apartment and the time she was supposed to meet the cab driver?
Police have searched a nearby lake but haven’t turned up any clues.
How you can help
Adrienne’s loved ones have set up a Facebook page to keep people updated on Adrienne’s case – www.facebook.com/AdrienneSalinasMissing. If you have any info about Adrienne’s disappearance, please call 480-350-8311 or if you wish to remain anonymous, call 480-witness.
UPDATE 8/7/13 4:40 PM
Adrienne’s body has been found in the area of Highway 88 and Lost Dutchman Boulevard, near Lost Dutchman State Park. Forensic examinations are currently underway, but police are treating it as a homicide.
Anyone with information is asked to call 480-350-8311.
UPDATE: 10/28/13 8:54 AM
Adrienne’s autopsy report has been released, and the cause of death has been listed as “undetermined,” which must be very frustrating for Adrienne’s family.
No suspects in Adrienne’s death, and no way of knowing how she died.