***Scroll down for updates***
Columbus Short, one of the stars of ABC’s popular political drama, ‘Scandal,’ is involved in a scandal of his own.
Short was arrested Wednesday on a felony battery charge, stemming from a pretty violent brawl at a West Los Angeles restaurant on March 15, 2014.
According to TMZ, Short was attending an engagement party at Gabe’s Bar and Grill, when he got into an argument with someone at the party, and “sucker-punched” him. The other man’s nose was broken and he was rendered unconscious for several minutes. After the incident, Short allegedly then left the bar.
An ambulance was called and took the man to the hospital.
TMZ is also reporting that Short has a pretty extensive arrest record indicating he can be pretty violent. They cite three other arrests, in addition to this latest one:
- Spousal battery and child abuse: Short was arrested in February 2013 after allegedly attacking his wife in front of their children, ages 2 and 10. He pleaded not guilty to these charges on Tuesday.
- Two weeks after the above incident, Short was arrested again, after pushing his wife.
- Disturbing the peace: Short was arrested in 2010, after getting into a fight on an L.A. basketball court. He allegedly sucker punched a player, bashing his teeth in and cutting him badly. He was charged with aggravated battery and disturbing the peace, but the aggravated battery charge was later dropped. He pled no contest to disturbing the peace.
Short was taken into custody Wednesday and then released on a $50,000 bail.
UPDATE: 4/2/14 9:08 AM
TMZ is reporting that Short’s victim does not want to press charges:
The victim’s lawyer tells TMZ, he’s been in contact with Columbus’ management to come to some sort of settlement without involving police. We’re told the victim has made it clear to investigators he doesn’t want the case pursued criminally.
If a settlement deal is reached and the victim tells police he will not testify, I doubt this will go to trial.
UPDATE: 4/21/14 7:09 AM
Short’s wife has filed for a divorce, and was also granted a temporary restraining order against him, after a domestic violence incident occurred at their home this past month.
According to the LA Times, Short was reportedly thrown out of his house after allegedly putting a knife to his wife’s throat and threatening to kill her and himself.
The restraining order, obtained by TMZ and E! News, revealed sordid details of an April 7 altercation that alleged Short was drunk and enlisted his wife in a violent game of “Truth for Truth,” accused her of having an affair and threatened to slash her tires.
A hearing will be held on May 6 to address whether the restraining order will be made permanent.
UPDATE: 4/23/14 7:44 AM
Short has issued a statement, addressing his recent charges. From BallerAlert.com:
“As you all know, lately my personal life has been subjected to a lot of press. As much as I would like to provide my side of events, my counsel has instructed me that a Court of law is the only and proper venue to deal with such matters.”
“Accordingly, I must refrain from making any comments even though that is very difficult for me under the circumstances. Thank you to my fans for your continued support during this difficult time.”
– ‘Scandal’ actor Columbus Short arrested after restaurant brawl
– ‘Scandal’ Star String of Arrests Involving Violence
– ‘Scandal’ star Columbus Short in bar fight: cops investigating
– Alleged fight victim refuses to press charges
– Scandal star hit with divorce, restraining order
– Columbus Short Issues Statement